Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Mobile signal

All posts on this forum should be specific to CAISTER. Any posts that are non specific will be moved to a more relevant forum.

Moderators: Briggsy, tonygardner

Topic author
Peter_F
3* Member
3* Member
Posts in topic: 4

Mobile signal

Post by Peter_F » 3 years ago

Morning all,

Unfortunately, there are times when I'm at the van where I still need to answer e-mails and look on the internet etc. However, I am having constant problems with my current mobile operator (O2) in that even though I have a decent 3G signal I cannot get any internet connection.

The operator just tells me there is no problem in the area, even though I have explained that this is not just me experiencing this.

Have any other Caister owners had success in connecting to the internet with any of the other operators? as I intend to spend as much time at Caister as I can, I'm seriously thinking of changing operators.

many thanks

Peter
ABI Horizon 2013. 36 x 12. 3 Bed.
Haven Caister.

Its taken some time to make the leap but now we're there. :hello1:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Almost Simon
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Mobile signal

Post by Almost Simon » 3 years ago

Hi, we've been staying at Caister at various intervals over the past year and yesterday became owners. In that time I've been using my Three mifi with much success. In fact if you check their website you'll see that Caister has full three coverage whereas Vodafone I believe is poor. Its pay as you go so I pop to the local Tesco and get a £15 voucher and that usually sees me right for a while. I've had upto 4 devices at once in the caravan taking wifi with no issues. Very good coverage.

I did have issues this past weekend but that's not three's fault, I think its more me forgetting my password so had no access all weekend but will sort before we return in a few weeks. It can be fiddley as they send the password reset to the device which has no screen and I only had my rather slow hudl with me rather than my laptop. Lesson learnt.

So my suggestion is look at the various networks coverage for Caisters postcode. Three I can recommend. I don't have three network for my phone, I bought the three mifi purely for when we stay at the caravan.

I did hear there was a problem at Caister area over the past weekend (from the sales team) so perhaps that may have affected signals.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Peter_F
3* Member
3* Member

Post by Peter_F » 3 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We also took ownership over this last weekend. Small world.

Yes I've been told before that 3 works well there. O2 have now admitted there's a problem, but then they told me that 2 weeks ago when I first reported it.

Sounds like a good idea to have a separate wifi box, think I may well give that a go.

Cheers

Peter (Caister Beach)
Haven Caister.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Almost Simon

Post by Almost Simon » 2 years ago

I've been thinking more about this. Need to investigate but we have standard broadband at home and are looking to go to unlimited as I often work from home and keep getting additional costs for too much usage. So simple answer is to go to unlimited, but which provider? That's another discussion for home but today I discussed with a colleague and he suggested asking the broadband providers if they allow a subscriber to have 2 separate hubs at 2 locations, or potentially 1 hub that is moved when you go to the caravan,

This might be a nuts idea but worth investigating. I checked the freeview website and channels available at Caister is pretty poor. At home we get access to all channels, at Caister its only 20. So with the way modern tech is going rather than buying a freeview box you can buy either a google chromecast or amazon fire memory stick which you attach to your TV USB and it runs off the wifi. Both are quite cheap and can access a lot more channels than freeview. Hence pay as you go may not be the best way forward if you go down that route.

Anyone have any experience of this?

We get the keys to our caravan next week. I'm not in a hurry to buy a TV. Its near the end of season, we can survive on skygo via laptop if necessary via pay as you go but for next year and the future I'm interested before buying a TV/freeview box or amazon/google mem stick.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Peter_F
3* Member
3* Member

Post by Peter_F » 2 years ago

Hi Simon,

As far as the TV goes, we have put a TV in the van just running off the supplied TV ant on the caravan and we have a lot more than 20 freeview channels. I did buy an amplifier just in case but so far have not needed to use it, not that we've really had time to watch TV.

When it comes to the broadband, that's an interesting one, I'm not even sure if you can have a standard broadband connection run to the caravan, if its even allowed as this would normally require cabling and therefore groundwork.

This was the reason I liked the idea of the mifi etc.

I have had further discussion with O2 and they inform me that there is a problem in the Caister area due to it being over subscribed. The problem seems to be at its worst during August, as you would expect. Supposedly the same thing happened last August.

They are not prepared to spend the money installing an additional mast as they see it as seasonal, and also believe that when they bring 4G to the area next year it will improve things anyway.

With that in mind, I did some testing last weekend with some visiting friends, one of whom is on 3 and the other on EE. The 3 phone managed a 3G signal at a fairly respectable 8Mbps, the EE phone managed a 4G signal which was around 12Mbps and peaked at the mash and barrel at 36Mbps. Testing on O2 failed to produce any results at all on 2 separate phones.

Enjoy your handover day

Peter
Haven Caister.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Almost Simon

Post by Almost Simon » 2 years ago

Good point on broadband. It was a good one to bring up in discussion but thinking about it, you're probably right. Mifi is the way.

I guess the whole freeview thing should be a separate subject. I'm happy with the mifi its just how much credit a googlechrome or amazon fire would use. I'll have a google and see they are of any use via mifi/pay as you go. Otherwise freeview is the way forward.

I don't expect us to watch TV much anyway, its just for those evenings you want to stay in and chill.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gringolee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Gringolee » 2 years ago

Hi Peter

My wife and daughter are having the same problem every time we come down. They have a good signal but no connectivity when trying to speedtest and run apps on the phones.
We too have reported this to O2 and now have a case number, I'm quite interested in the fact they have told you the mast is overloaded as they have kind of admitted they are not supplying a service that customers are paying for.

Are you still have the trouble?

I'm on EE and never have a problem onsite and would highly recommend there service for data at this site.

Cheers lee

Dilham 32
Lee
Dilham 32
Swift Moselle 2012 38 x 12 3B
:drinkwine:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Peter_F
3* Member
3* Member

Mobile signal

Post by Peter_F » 2 years ago

Hi Lee,

This problem just got farsical with O2 so last September I changed to EE and hey presto I get a good 3G signal with decent internet connection. My fiancée was also having the same problem so we've just changed her over to EE and she now has no problem.

EE have also told me that they are planning 4G for the Caister area.

The problem with O2 is that they share the mast with Tesco mobile, giff gaff, amongst others so when you get high season and all the vans filled there is a high chance of the signal getting zapped.

I also made complaints to O2 and got a case number but after numerous phone calls With no resolution I just cancelled the contract.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven Caister.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Celtygirl , Briggsy , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Bing [Bot] , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mevennais , p sands , nedmundo , MikeandJayne , mansel , TforTerry , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , HappyValley , bonjgb , PauldN , Sunrise , DJ59 , sco_ttie2002 , LisaHemelSupport , Peter_F , Almost Simon , Jsims , caisterbeach172 , paulandgill , anthony , Gringolee ,

Return to “Caister-On-Sea”