Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Rust on chassis

Hints, Tips, Advice, Contacts, Problems, Etc. If its about maintaning your caravan, Post it here.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Chrisxx
2* Member
2* Member
Posts in topic: 1

Rust on chassis

Post by Chrisxx » 2 years ago

Please can I have some advise please on treating my chassis which is rusting it's on a 2008 atlas and I don't know if it is galvanised. Is there a different treatment for steel that is galvanised or not. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Koala Services
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rust on chassis

Post by Koala Services » 2 years ago

If the frame is galvanised it really shouldn't be rusting. Galvanised finish is shown here....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-dip_galvanization
It's the same finish as most highway street lamp posts, the tall silver ones.
The chances are yours is a black painted finish, which the sea air slowly starts to attack. If yours is showing a lot of rust greasing it will just grease over the tin worm, sealing it in. The rust will continue. It will need to be rubbed down and treated with a rust killer then painted or greased.
Speak to Darren at Skipsea Windows and ask his advice, no doubt they will have had some bad chassis to grease and treat before now.
We had ours treated within a few months of owning the caravan from new, as I knew that it would be vulnerable to the salty air. 2 years on there is no rust to be seen on the chassis. The only problem I had was the mess we got in by crawling under the van when I fitted the central heating system. I had to bin the overalls I wore as they were so covered in grease, it really does not wash out easily!
I replied to your email too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , crusaderpete , cliff , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , chrisandwendy , mevennais , mansel , supervisor , mal , TforTerry , pcorbridge , Koala Services , CoffeeAndBaileys , bluejeans98 , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , LisaHemelSupport , ChrisB , Jsims , dingledong , Chrisxx , Jabulani , janet-s , Prouty33 , Jo-kershaw , MKE ,

Return to “Caravan Improvements, Repairs & Maintenance”