Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Sub-Letting Deposits

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Julesatkilnpark
Posts in topic: 5

Sub-Letting Deposits

Post by Julesatkilnpark » 3 years ago

Hi Ellen
May i ask how u advertise? I'm currently on ukcaravans4hire so fingers crossed.
I am baffled by the whole deposit thing I know why we require them but which amount comes off their total like if hols £500 they pay £75 to secure dates and £75 for damages etc so how much will they owe is it £350 or £425 I'm sure it's the latter but I'm not certain? Thanku

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sub-Letting Deposits

Post by HappyValley » 3 years ago

Hi, I've just sold my caravan, but I rented out privately all this year advertising on ukcaravans4hire, and I was never short of enquiries. The deposit is part of the holiday price, just the same as if you put a deposit down on a shop item. The customer then has the balance to pay. Eg, holiday cost £575.00 deposit £75.00 balance owing £500.00. The bond is in addition to this.
For damages, take a refundable bond, that is one which you will repay in full when caravan is seen to be left in good condition. Most people take 50.00, some take more. For small breakages etc, get repairs done out of bond and refund what's left. For bigger jobs, that will cost over your bond, claim on insurance and keep the bond to cover the excess on the policy. Basically, your bond needs to be whatever your excess is. Hope this helps :big_grin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 3 years ago

Julesatkilnpark wrote:Hi Ellen
I am baffled by the whole deposit thing I know why we require them but which amount comes off their total like if hols £500 they pay £75 to secure dates and £75 for damages etc so how much will they owe is it £350 or £425 I'm sure it's the latter but I'm not certain? Thanku
HappyValley is right about the security deposit. If you have not done so already have a look at the 'Buyers Guide'- Section 9 - Sub Letting'
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Julesatkilnpark

That makes perfect sense thanku, there's just sooo much to think about, my insurance is through haven/BL so I'll have to look up what my excess is. That's adequate isn't it? As I already let it out with BL so I shouldn't need any other insurance should I?
I've downloaded templates for booking forms etc just need to adapt them now, I plan to clean it myself so that's sorted I'm sure I'll think of more questions before the season kicks off but you've already all been a huge help thanku :wave:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Unsy
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Welcome Julesatkilnpark

Post by Unsy » 3 years ago

Hiya

My insurance is with BL - you don't need anything in addition. Some people go elsewhere, but I stick with BL as there's no increase in payments if you claim - everyone pays the same.

The excess is £50, but I charge a £75 refundable bond.

I advertise with Direct Holiday Homes, but ukcaravans4hire is also popular and gets good results.

Where on site are you? I'm SandMartin Court.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Julesatkilnpark

Re: Welcome Julesatkilnpark

I'm at black rock been there a few years now :big_grin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Julesatkilnpark

Post by Julesatkilnpark » 2 years ago

Sorry didn't know how else to ask a question, u know we take a deposit per 'holiday' does any1 take more when it's booked for 2 weeks at a time?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

We ask for £100 to secure the booking, or the full amount if the arrival date is less than 4 weeks away. We ask for the balance to be paid in full 4 weeks before the arrival date, and we also ask for a £50 damage deposit to be paid a week before the arrival date. This is returnable within 14 days of the date the guests leave providing the caravan has been left in a good condition. We return the damage deposit either by bank transfer or by a cheque in the post.

I should have added we don't ask for any extra for a 2 week booking.

Hope this helps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnturley
Power Member
Power Member

Post by johnturley » 2 years ago

Macarw wrote:We ask for £100 to secure the booking, or the full amount if the arrival date is less than 4 weeks away. We ask for the balance to be paid in full 4 weeks before the arrival date, and we also ask for a £50 damage deposit to be paid a week before the arrival date. This is returnable within 14 days of the date the guests leave providing the caravan has been left in a good condition. We return the damage deposit either by bank transfer or by a cheque in the post.

I should have added we don't ask for any extra for a 2 week booking.

Hope this helps.
I'm surprised that you only ask for the balance 4 weeks before arrival date, as I have found out by experience that by the time you have chased up late and non-payers another 2 weeks have gone, so this doesn’t give you much time to re-book in case of the latter. Furthermore some people still pay by cheque, and these can take up to 2 weeks to clear, and I have had one or two which have subsequently bounced.

I used to ask for the balance to be paid 6 weeks beforehand, but have since increased this to 8 weeks to give more time to re-book in the case of non-payers, although I must admit one or two potential bookers have been put off by this. Addtionally I ask for the Damage and Breakages Bond, plus the cost of Funworks Passses (if required) to be paid for at the same time, rather than having to contact the booker again, to ask for them at a later time. I’ve also started offering to refund half the £50 deposit, if people let me know not less than 12 weeks beforehand if they wish to cancel, in order to encourage them to actually lell me, rather than as usually is the case, simply failing to pay their balance by the due date.

Also I ask for a £100 (£50 per week) deposit if people want a two week booking.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Julesatkilnpark

Post by Julesatkilnpark » 2 years ago

Thanks for your replys much appreciated
I already ask for relevant deposits for anything up to 7 nights but wondered if any1 else would charge more/double for a longer then 7 nights break as I see it as potentially double re advertising costs/work involved with filling those then empty dates.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Alexa [Bot] , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , westlawn , johnturley , springhay , yorkshirebelle , Julies , Bing [Bot] , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mevennais , mummybear , Whitey , Koala Services , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , HappyValley , Peter_F , Nataliedavies33 , bigerik777 , Julesatkilnpark , Tessa51 , Angela ives , Mrs T , MKE , Happyholidays , Donna_and_Neil , Tkm100 , BirdieGolf , carol1943 , cpr0305 , northern nigey , Annabod ,