Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Better to rent 7nigbts or 4/3

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Chrisxx
2* Member
2* Member
Posts in topic: 1

Better to rent 7nigbts or 4/3

Post by Chrisxx » 2 years ago

Hi

I am after some advice please I intend to let my van via direct holiday homes I don't know which is the better more lucrative option I am aware it's subjective but advice please Monday to Friday and Friday to Monday let's or Friday to Friday let's advice please. Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitey
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Better to rent 7nigbts or 4/3

Post by Whitey » 2 years ago

Typically 3/4 nights should pay more than 7 nights, as the longer you stay, the cheaper it usually is.

However, a lot of the "profit" is eaten by our house keeper as it involves extra cleaning and bed linen.

I guess if you're one of those who have the time to clean the van yourself then there is more money to be made.

Typically, a weekend is £175 and midweek £195 with a week being £295 and 14 nights being £550, but these are subject to change should they not sell earlier and a reduction in price to encourage a sale would not be uncommon.

I do however see some people selling their vans for as little as £80 a weekend (3 nights) and unless you don't use a cleaner, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of letting for such a small amount.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Julies
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Julies » 2 years ago

I used to do full weeks commencing on a Saturday then last year I changed it to the fri-mon scenario etc and only kept the school holidays as full weeks. I didn't get as many bookings as I did previously so this year I have changed back to full weeks but only starting from May half term and up to the end of the summer holidays. The rest of the year I have split up into short breaks. As Whitey says though you have to factor in the extra cleaning costs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

We try and offer flexibility with our dates, and often get people asking for one or two nights, but not many people take up the offer of one or two nights because of the cost. I always email people and say that because of our cleaning, laundry and admin costs which stay the same regardless of how many nights people stay it gets cheaper the more nights you stay. It costs us about £50 a clean, and that doesn't take account of any other costs such as utilities or site fees, so to make it worth our while we have to charge more than £100 for 2 nights, otherwise once our costs are taken out we're not left with much, and considering the wear and tear on the van we'd rather not have lots of guests in where we are only making less than £20 a night. I suppose if we were able to clean ourselves it might be different.

We've always done Sat - Sat bookings and tried to be flexible around that but stuck to Sat - Sat for the peak summer hols. This year we are going to try Fri-Fri bookings instead and see how it goes as that will give us the opportunity to use the van ourselves for a 2 night weekend from a Fri to Sun rather than just have the Sat night free. We can still offer a Mon-Fri booking.

If you are unsure of pricing look at some of the websites such as Direct Holiday Homes and look at the prices owners are charging for vans similar to yours.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member

Post by bradders » 2 years ago

I always advertise Saturday-Saturday, but make it clear that outside of the season weekend breaks can be booked. I tend to find that the majority of the time people will book for either a full week or Fri-Mon. Personally, I find it tough to fill the Mon-Fri out of season, but that could easily be down to our site not being as big/popular as others/cost, etc.

As with many things when letting yourself, you'll find what works for you via trial and error. Try different things, see what works for you :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

We've hardly had any out of season bookings this year. I think our prices are competitive, and I try and reduce them nearer the time and put them on as late bookings but it's a bit frustrating when you look at the Haven website and they are booked up for out of season weeks and we've had no enquiries!!

And again it's a trade off between letting at a price cheap enough to get bookings, but also being mindful of the wear and tear on your van being worth it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mevennais
Power Member
Power Member

Post by mevennais » 2 years ago

Macarw wrote:We've hardly had any out of season bookings this year. I think our prices are competitive, and I try and reduce them nearer the time and put them on as late bookings but it's a bit frustrating when you look at the Haven website and they are booked up for out of season weeks and we've had no enquiries!!

And again it's a trade off between letting at a price cheap enough to get bookings, but also being mindful of the wear and tear on your van being worth it!
You have to remember that Haven use Sun newspaper people to fill their caravans off season, at prices that owners cannot compete with.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitey
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Whitey » 2 years ago

Without the cost of the van taken into account, you're looking at taking an average of £90 to £150 a week in your pocket during the holiday season for the upkeep of the van regards bills (Ground rent, Council Tax, Water, Gas & Electric, etc.).

The prices I gave above are my June prices and there is room for movement.
Should some one ask me for just 2 nights, I have been known to reduce it down to £125.00, but any lower is really just not worth the bother, as my House Keeping bills are £40 to £45 per stay.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle

Post by yorkshirebelle » 2 years ago

I do only Monday & Friday changeovers therefore most of my bookings are 3 or 4 nights I find this brings me more income than full weeks. I also find that my regular people will often book 2 or 3 breaks each season.
I very rarely reduce my prices and was pretty much full all season in both vans.

I however do my own cleaning so do not have that added expense having said that I do not make my prices any cheaper than other owners on site
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , bradders , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , johnturley , yorkshirebelle , Julies , Bing [Bot] , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , MikeandJayne , mummybear , Whitey , tonyking77 , TforTerry , bandb666 , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , PauldN , bottoc , LisaHemelSupport , Chrisxx , Jabulani , Nataliedavies33 , chanz4 , Prouty33 , bwfc , BirdieGolf , Jennieccles , srbagpuss , cpr0305 , jacosia65 , Bahooney ,

Return to “Sub Letting”