Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Guest wants refund on day of arrival

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

johnturley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Guest wants refund on day of arrival

Post by johnturley » 2 years ago

In over 10 years of caravan letting I’ve never had anyone demand an instant refund.

One problem I occasionally get with my van, is that although I do reflect the age of the van in the prices I charge (it’s 15 years old although in very good condition for its age), some people (probably not very well up on caravan pricing) want to pay this lower price, but think or expect that they will be getting the equivalent of a Deluxe or Prestige van for their money, and complain about anything.

I remember one year in particular letting it out for the autumn half term week for just £200, but the guests rang up several times to complain about various items, stressing that they had paid good money for the week, and wanted a partial refund which we refused. I suspect they had been hoping or exepcting to get the equivalent of a van that would have cost them around £400 to £500 for the same week.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bluemoontets » 2 years ago

Hi All just wanted to let you all know the lady has decided to take legal action as she is claiming i said there was double glazing and central heating which i didnt and the fact i showed her pictures and have a copy of the advert, to prove this. We have sent everything in writing with copies of the orginal forms signed and a copy of the advert from which she found us from so hopefully she will stop and back off heres hoping. this has been very stressfull for myself and my husband and seeing as this was only our second year private renting it has made us feel very un easy about it all. sarah :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Unsy
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unsy » 2 years ago

Hi Sarah

That's awful, but I bet she is bluffing. I'm sure it will turn out ok.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bradders » 2 years ago

Good luck Sarah.

She can threaten all she likes. Where is her proof of what you said to her? Do you have any email exchanges with her? If it was all verbal she's going to struggle. Do you advertise your caravan anywhere online? If you do that will clearly show otherwise.

Please try not to get too stressed. From what I see the other person won't go through with it, just getting gobby by threatening legal action. She's just hoping you'll buckle to save money. It's tough when threatened with these things to stick to your guns and not think "I'll pay it to save the stress", but that's exactly what she's hoping for.

Phil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bluemoontets » 2 years ago

Hi Phil
I have a face book page and website as well and know where does it state double glazing and central heating. It is a little stressful however I'm not giving in and she is not getting a refund I didn't do anything wrong. It's so nice to have support from others and I have to say the staff at Presthaven have been brill helping with advice as well as everyone here it so lovely to get the support thank you. I'll keep everyone updated.

Sarah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member

I'm sure it'll work out fine in the end :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

Oh no! How awful! I really hope she's bluffing, and after seeing your evidence any legal representative will advise her she doesn't have a case I am sure. Also in August it's not that cold that people would actively look for a van with d/g and c/h anyway - if she'd booked for October and was expecting a heated van then I could understand her disappointment, but in August it's neither here nor there really! Maybe she looked at a lot of vans when she was searching for a holiday and got mixed up thinking that she had booked a different van - when I return calls I often get guests asking me to confirm which van I am calling about as they have left messages with a number of owners.

It all seems very odd to me - especially since she walked away at the start of the holiday - if you had travelled a distance to go on holiday with your family surely you just wouldn't walk away as soon as you arrived just because the van didn't have d/g and c/h which you probably wouldn't use in August anyway.

It is really off putting when you get a booking that doesn't go smoothly - our first booking this summer was awful, but the subsequent guests so far have been lovely.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HappyValley » 2 years ago

I also find this very strange indeed. There is definitely either a mix up by her with bookings, or she has an agenda of her own. As has been said before, why would anyone travel a long way to just walk away at the end of it? I am almost certain it isn't because of lack of DG/CH. No one would be that silly. I have met some very odd people in my time, but I don't think I have ever met anyone that would do that! She has given herself a whole load of stress apart from what she has given you, and for what? It sounds like "buyer's remorse", but then why make the journey? I simply can't make any sense of it unless you consider the possibility that she may have mental health problems which could account for such bizarre behaviour. I can't see any of her threats going anywhere, there is total lack of evidence and any solicitor worth his salt would advise her against it, considering the costs she could accrue trying to fight her case. I would just wait nd see what happens next. I hope it gets resolved soon for you.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member

Exactly. If it was late October then maybe you'd think "this is too darn cold, I'm going home". But in the summer to walk away because of a lack of heating is laughable. You'd just make the best of it for a week. I know we've not had a great summer but it's not been so bad that even the coldest of vans would be uncomfortable. I wouldn't just walk out of somewhere without commenting first. That's a huge risk you'll have paid a few hundred quid for nothing at all. No legal person worth their salt will give this the time of day. It's just a typical angry persons "I'll sue you" reaction because that's what they see acted out on TV.

Talking of guests getting confused about what they've booked... A few weeks ago I had a call from an incoming guest "The key doesn't work, we need help". Odd. I'd had some new keys cut but had tested them all a fortnight earlier. I suggested they give it a bit of a wiggle and try again and to call me back if they were having issues and I'd get Haven to sort out a spare. They called me back 5 minutes later rather embarrassed - they'd been trying to get into the caravan next door to mine :-) No wonder the key didn't work!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yorkshirebelle » 2 years ago

I can better you there Bradders...spoke to guests night before arrival gave them postcode & directions once onsite.
Their arrival next day was to be at 3, they later delayed to 5 then txt me to say they were 15 mins away. So I went to van to wait. An hour later I rang them where are you. We are on site but can't find you....where on site?...Outside mash & barrel.ok here's directions 10 mins later can't find it...ok I will come to mash... Your not outside mash...no were outside Spar....your not outside Spar are you sure your at BD or are you at PV?.... No we passed PV.... Ok come to caravan sales I'm stood on corner Blue T Shirt...Can't find caravan sales, we are near the sign that says to the Beach....we don't have a sign that says to the Beach, you sure your not at PV? Can you ask someone?.....oh sorry were at Reighton Sands....Didn't the Sign saying Welcome to Reighton Sands give it away.
When they eventually arrived 2 and a half hours later. Oh we got mixed up as we had looked at so many vans. :rolleyes:
Don't you just love em :censored:
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Lloydies , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Lesley & Alan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , beachfan17 , westlawn , Steve&Liz , valkeys , johnturley , MARYPARKER , springhay , Unsy , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Lynn and Carl , Keith 2 , Duke , Mark10 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , lhiggonyoung , MikeandJayne , mummybear , Whitey , dotty , tonyking77 , ROXY , mansel , bluemoontets , TforTerry , bandb666 , holiday , Koala Services , mrsnowman , saycraig , PMC , borolad , allyt25 , CoffeeAndBaileys , bluejeans98 , Philb , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , PauldN , Sunrise , bottoc , Sarah76 , morris-family , DJ59 , sco_ttie2002 , LisaHemelSupport , Peter_F , ChrisB , Jsims , dingledong , Red Ridinghood , mook99pink , Richj61 , Lesley173 , Chip1410 , Chrisxx , Jabulani , IanC , Rosbif Pete , Nataliedavies33 , directowners , chanz4 , bigerik777 , Julesatkilnpark , Mart and Lyn , Prouty33 , palmeam , John Burke , MKE , Kathmorg , Fairylights , Jennieccles , cpr0305 , gem2k89 ,

Return to “Sub Letting”