Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Guest wants refund on day of arrival

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 7

Guest wants refund on day of arrival

Post by bluemoontets » 3 years ago

We have just had a call off a private rent that arrived today saying she has had an awful time at reception that our caravan is not worth the money has left the site and is demanding a full refund.
This is only our second year of renting out and would like some advice.
Wife is mortified as we were there yesterday cleaning and never had anything but praise.

Any help much appreciated

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Guest wants refund on day of arrival

Post by Macarw » 3 years ago

That seems really unusual. I wouldn't refund anything yet. I'm sure your caravan is lovely, put it up as a late booking asap you might get a booking even for a few days.

Can you ring recepton and find out what happened?

How do your guests get the keys for your van? Can you check with the person that handed them out?

Did they definitely turn up at reception or are they just saying that because for some reason at the last minute they can't make the holiday?

I wonder if they've seen or been offered a cheaper deal with Haven and managed to book it more cheaply at the last minute thinking that they are paying over the odds for your van, and are hoping that they can get a refund from you.

Do you send out terms and conditions that include refund conditions?

I would ask the renter to put in writing exactly what they felt was wrong with the caravan, and ask them to provide photographic evidence - you might find that if they are trying it on they may be reluctant to put something in writing and sign their name to it. Having it in writing gives you concrete issues to refute in your reply to them.

Good luck!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member

Thank you for the advice I have spoken to Tracey who gives out our keys and said the lady just did not like the caravan, I always send out terms and conditions which I got off this site as I followed advice from here and she signed them and understood them. I feel very disappointed that she never phoned me she was just going to leave and say nothing I only found out because I txt her saying have a good holiday.

Sarah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HappyValley » 3 years ago

What a horrible situation for you. Where did she see your advert? Was it Facebook, or a rental site like caravans4hire? Has she had the opportunity to see good, clear photos of everything, and have you given a thorough and fair description of the caravan? If so, she cannot claim she has been misled in any way, and if she just didn't like the caravan then she must have known that when she saw the advert. What didn't she like about it? Has she been specific about any aspect of the caravan she doesn't like? I'm afraid it sounds to me like she is trying it on for reasons best known to herself, I would be looking much further into this before issuing any refunds because she will have stopped you earning a rental in the peak season.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member

After speaking with Tracey at Haven, Tracey said that the van wasn't what she was expecting but I stood with her and showed her pictures of the van so she knew what to expect, however in the brief conversation I did have with she said she'd bought a van at White houses and it had double glazing central heating patio decking the lot so I don't know I've gone back through everything to see if I've mislead in anyway and I haven't. It's soul destroying to think that's the only reason she doesn't want it. Sarah

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Macarw » 3 years ago

I'd be very surprised that a genuine owner is treating a fellow owner in that way, so I'd take the statement about her buying a van with a pinch of salt maybe.

Double glazing and central heating are a bit irrelevant at this time of year, and I'm sure your pricing reflects what your van does have regarding d/g, c/h decking and a patio and surely those things can be seen on your photos.

Is the site that she's supposedly bought a van at nearby? If she has bought a van nearby then why would she want to stay in yours? Especially since it's supposedly so swish!! Unless of course now she's got a van she doesn't need to stay in yours and had no intention of staying and is trying to find an excuse to get her money back.

If you really do feel that you want to refund something then maybe you could say that you will re-advertise the week, and if you do manage to get a letting for any of the remaining days you will refund her the difference but also take something for your admin costs and trouble and give her a proportion of the money back, making sure that if you do get a let then the money from that and the money you retain more than covers what you have lost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bradders » 3 years ago

If she's seen pictures of your caravan it seems highly dubious to suddenly dislike it so much. I can't imagine many privately owned vans be so bad that someone would walk out. You are taking a chance that you won't get a refund so you've nothing at all to show for your money!

As you've had plenty of satisfied guests before it shows that this person is chancing their luck.

Did she buy her van after booking with you? Maybe she just wants to try and save some money!

If she didn't let you know when leaving and only got in touch later then I'd just play this down. She should have contacted you first to discuss the issues and seen if a compromise could be reached rather than just walking out.

I'd just play it as "sorry the holiday didn't live up to your expectations, but you didn't give me chance to correct any problems you had before you advised me that you'd already left. As a result I'm unable to offer a refund". Or something like that!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member

Bladders that great thank you I have been struggling to think about how to deal with this I feel a little more positive now thank to everyone for there great advice Sarah x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yorkshirebelle » 3 years ago

I booked a van at Great Yarmouth a couple of years ago Private Owner ( very posh )
Got to van & was absolutely disgusting. First thing I did was ring this Lady to let her know. Her response was you can stay extra 3 days if you are willing to clean the van yourself!!! An offer I declined. So I booked another through site.
My point to this being that you would contact owner in the first instance if something was not the way you expected.
I most certainly would not refund.
Hope you get it sorted
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bluemoontets
1* Member
1* Member

I have messaged the lady I have offered to refund the £50 deposit and asked for her reasons in writing so I can see exactly what her explanation is regarding the van. However I have had no response to this at all !!! So watch this space

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Lloydies , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Lesley & Alan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , beachfan17 , westlawn , Steve&Liz , valkeys , johnturley , MARYPARKER , springhay , Unsy , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Lynn and Carl , Keith 2 , Duke , Mark10 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , lhiggonyoung , MikeandJayne , mummybear , Whitey , dotty , tonyking77 , ROXY , mansel , bluemoontets , TforTerry , bandb666 , holiday , Koala Services , mrsnowman , saycraig , PMC , borolad , allyt25 , CoffeeAndBaileys , bluejeans98 , Philb , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , PauldN , Sunrise , bottoc , Sarah76 , morris-family , DJ59 , sco_ttie2002 , LisaHemelSupport , Peter_F , ChrisB , Jsims , dingledong , Red Ridinghood , mook99pink , Richj61 , Lesley173 , Chip1410 , Chrisxx , Jabulani , IanC , Rosbif Pete , Nataliedavies33 , directowners , chanz4 , bigerik777 , Julesatkilnpark , Mart and Lyn , Prouty33 , palmeam , John Burke , MKE , Kathmorg , Fairylights , Jennieccles , cpr0305 , gem2k89 ,

Return to “Sub Letting”