Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

awful first summer booking :(

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Macarw
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 5

awful first summer booking :(

Post by Macarw » 3 years ago

Had a message from our cleaner this evening to say she had gone past the van on the off chance that our guests had left early (they were due to leave tomorrow) and she'd found it empty and unlocked with all the bedding stripped from the beds and an overpowering smell of wee. One of the mattresses was soaking. She's taken the mattress cover off and cleaned the mattress - thankfully she's had time between these guests leaving and tomorrows guests coming in to do that as she had checked the van this evening. There are also black marks on the bedroom carpet that look suspiciously like cigarette burns (she's sent me a photo) and the little cabinet between between the beds in one of the twin rooms is missing. Had she not popped by on the off chance the caravan could have been left unlocked all night also.

We have heard nothing at all from the guests (surprise surprise).

We've never had to withold a deposit before. Any advice? Do we keep the whole deposit? Do we wait for them to ask us for the deposit and then state why we are not returing the full amount, or do we email them tomorrow stating why they will not be getting their deposit back?

We'd be grateful for any advice please.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

billywhizz1964
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: awful first summer booking :(

Post by billywhizz1964 » 3 years ago

You need to contact them straight away and advise them they are not getting their bond back and the reasons why. The longer you leave it the more difficult it will be for you to justify it as they will simply say why didn't you say something earlier if you thought it was them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mummybear
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mummybear » 3 years ago

I am sorry to ready this.

I agree with billywhizz1964 that they need to be contacted straight away.
An email outlining why they have lost their deposit/bond along with your cleaner's photographic evidence.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Have just sent this.

Just to inform you that we will not be returning your £50 damage deposit.

Our cleaner informs us that she visited the caravan yesterday evening (Friday 31st July 2015) to check what time you would be vacating the caravan on Saturday 1st August 2015. When she entered the caravan there was a strong smell of urine. She discovered that the left hand bed in the first twin room had been left with the mattress soaked in urine. She also informs us that there were round black marks on the carpet in the double bedroom and that the bedside table was missing in the top twin room.

For these reasons we will not be returning your deposit.

If they reply disputing it I will then tell them that the cleaner has taken photographs. I hope that they don't reply really, and I hope no one else gets a booking from them in the future!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bradders » 3 years ago

Oh dear :-( That's awful!!! Why do people think this kind of behaviour is acceptable?

Good luck with them. Contacting the guests first is definitely the way to do it. And you have evidence, though fully expect them to claim the marks on the carpet were there before! But keeping money back for additional cleaning is acceptable, I'm sure you mention it in the terms & conditions they sign up to.

Please DM me their details in case they try me if they return to Doniford!!

Hope the remaining guests this year are much better :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Bradders, I did try and send a pm but not sure if it actually sent as I can't see it in my sent folder. If it didn't get to you let me know and I'll resend.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phantom

Post by phantom » 3 years ago

That's awful, it beggars belief why someone would cause damage like that.
Sometimes the £50 deposit just doesn't cover it either - hope you got it all sorted x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Thanks the cleaner managed to clean the mattress and get rid of the smell. Luckily she'd been in there on the Friday which gave her the chance to treat the mattress twice before the new guests came in Sat afternoon. We will replace the mattress but it's been sorted in the short term.

The guest replied to my above message apologising and saying her disabled son had wet the bed, and that she'd tried to clean it.

I replied with

Had you informed us in advance about your son we could have provided you with one of these to put on the bed in case of any accidents. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =264891968 we use them for our son who occasionally wets the bed, so we have some in the van.

I appreciate that accidents happen, but if you had let us know straight away about the mattress our cleaner could have cleaned and treated it straight away and you would have only been liable for the extra cleaning costs. Unfortunately as it had been left too long the mattress will need replacing, and the following week's guests had to be delayed until the mattress had been sorted and the smell eradicated from the van.

I didn't get a reply.

I desperately wanted to add that for the sake of a packet of bed mats that cost not much more than 50p each she lost her £50 deposit and caused us and probably herself a lot of hassle and upset and also lost a day of her holiday by doing a flit on the Friday! I also wanted to put that because we are aware that our son occasionally has an accident when we go away we always make sure we put a disposable bed mat on the bed, and sometimes we take our own bedding to use instead of the bedding provided to make sure we never end up in the position of accidently having a wet mattress, but I was restrained, and tried to make my point in a bit more of a subtle way!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phantom

Post by phantom » 3 years ago

That's the thing, you can appreciate accidents do happen but to just leave it and do one is a bit shocking.
By the time it was picked up on it caused more headache for you to get sorted.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

By contrast this week's guests left the van clean and tidy, replaced a lightbulb and left a spare, and bought a new tin opener (not sure what was wrong with the old one but they were kind enough to replace it). They have also said how nice the van was, thanked us for letting them use it and said they would like to book again.

It just shows that you can't predict what sort of guests you are going to get!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Lloydies , Celtygirl , j232 , bradders , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , beachfan17 , westlawn , crusaderpete , Steve&Liz , coon , rosiefcb , johnturley , amyamy1246 , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Lynn and Carl , Keith 2 , Duke , Mike , Mark10 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mayday , mevennais , lhiggonyoung , mike&marg , ebenu2 , MikeandJayne , mummybear , Whitey , dotty , tonyking77 , mansel , aspen50 , TforTerry , bandb666 , Koala Services , SStubbsUK , saycraig , PMC , billywhizz1964 , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , Philb , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , Tez & Shaz , PauldN , Sarah76 , morris-family , DJ59 , LisaHemelSupport , Peter_F , hornet900 , michelle28a , Jsims , phantom , ade225 , Lesley173 , Nataliedavies33 , chanz4 , Tessa51 , bwfc , BirdieGolf , Jennieccles , fizzyfizz , Bahooney , gem2k89 ,