Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Im a new owner and would like to know how best to sub let

Many Owners Sub Let their Caravan either just to cover costs or as a business. Get help and advice here. Post links to sites where owners can advertise their caravans.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
PurdyPrimose
Posts in topic: 1

Im a new owner and would like to know how best to sub let

Post by PurdyPrimose » 2 years ago

Hi :wave:
Im a new owner on Primrose Valley :newbie: and have just started out sub letting for next season. Although im new to this and really have no idea where to begin and i feel like its maybe more than i can deal with :frown: please tell me its not really that hard :dontknow:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Im a new owner and would like to know how best to sub let

Post by HappyValley » 2 years ago

Hiya Purdy Primrose, and welcome to the forum.
I have only rented my caravan out for year, and I felt just like you until I got into it. It really isn't hard, but you absolutely must be organised and have some sort of system. You need to decide whether you are going to do your own cleaning or find a cleaner to do it for you. You will have to get 2 full sets of bedlinen, one on the beds while the other in the wash. How are you going to advertise? There are a few paid for sites, like caravans4hire which is £79.00 a year and others similar. Facebook is another place where people advertise, but just be a bit careful with that. All the documents you need are here on members resources, and you can tweak them to suit your own needs. I have made some additional ones of my own as well, such as a booking confirmation letter with dates and agreed price and so forth. Most of it is on the booking form as well, but I do the letter to make it a bit more personal. I bought one of those record file boxes from Staples, and every guest has a card made out with name, address, dates booked, cost of holiday, bond received and returned etc etc. I also have all booked dates in diary, so I can cross reference by guest or by date. Also, if a guest rebooks the following year, they have their record card on file with a note of anything you particularly wanted to remember about that particular guest! Decide how you want to handle the key release- you can pay Haven to do it for you, or install a key safe which means your guests can go straight to the van. Fun passes is another thing- I just leave it for the guests to buy themselves when they get there, some owners include passes or make it optional. Once they are fully paid, and you give your time for that on your terms and conditions, I send out a paper receipt, the counterfoil of which gets attached to their record card, key instructions or code for key safe, and I send a little letter with directions to the caravan and wishing them a nice holiday. I manage to sneak in a reminder to turn of heating etc and return key to safe. That's about it really, but if there is anything else you need help with let us know.
Have you had good read of the subletting section? There really is a huge amount of information and help here and everyone is great. I hope you enjoy your caravan ownership for a long time to come :sunny:
Liz

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bradders » 2 years ago

Great comments from Liz :-) There's plenty of resources on here to help you on your way, and lots of lovely other owners!

I've been doing it 8 years now. Once you get going it's not too bad and can be quite rewarding when you get emails and letters of thanks.

I have 4-5 sets of bedding, not the 2 that Liz mentions. One spare set is left in the van in case of accidents. The cleaner is prepared for when someone stays a fortnight and you can leave fresh bedding for them to swap during their stay. And then an extra set or two to just keep it on rotation.

I advertise of Direct Holiday Homes and UK Caravans 4 Hire. Between the two of them I've yet to have an empty week during the peak season and get plenty during the quieter weeks too. eBay can be good but the fees can eat into your margins. Facebook there's lots of enquiries but not so many bookings. Gumtree everyone expects it for about £3.50!!

When letting work out what you need to get by and take your prices from that. If your cleaning costs, say, £50, gas £10 electric £5 and admin fees £5 then you don't want to be letting out on a 2 night break for anything less than £100 for example. Some owners like to have a regular flow of bookings whatever the cost. But try and avoid getting drawn into a price war. I've always stuck to the theory of I'd rather my van be empty than be breaking even on a booking.

Good luck, it's not that scary :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

anthuk

Post by anthuk » 1 year ago

It all depends on how hands on you want to be, and whether your taking care of most of the things yourself or paying someone to do the cleaning for you. As others have mentioned, you def need to be organised and put the time in.

There is a number of sites out there where you can advertise your caravan for private hire. Some are quite expensive and some are a lot more affordable. LowCostCaravans is just one of them that offers owners quite a lot. I would add a listing on a few sites, then your covering all bases and Facebook is also another good one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sharonperky

Post by sharonperky » 1 year ago

hi just reading your post we have just bought a caravan at doniford bay, we hope to use it quite a few weekends and a week in july but ill be wanting to rent it out an i dont really know where to start as never done this before any feedback and help would be appreciated :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member

Post by bradders » 1 year ago

Hi Sharon

The web-sites I mention above are a good start. This forum has a LOT of information about hiring, you won't go far wrong following what is on here :-)

If you need anything specific let me know, I'll drop you a private message!

Phil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sharonperky

Post by sharonperky » 1 year ago

bradders wrote:Hi Sharon

The web-sites I mention above are a good start. This forum has a LOT of information about hiring, you won't go far wrong following what is on here :-)

If you need anything specific let me know, I'll drop you a private message!

Phil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cherished

Post by Cherished » 4 months ago

Hi, I've been advertising for years. I started on Facebook but found that we got mucked around a fair bit with cancellation and guest generally not looking after our static caravan. We decided then to rent our caravan on a private owners website and this was much better organised. Deposits and balance payments were much more structured and the standard of guest was much better. We advertised on Cherished Holiday Homes.

www.cherishedholidayhomes.co.uk/static_ ... 2-willows/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , bradders , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , rosiefcb , johnturley , springhay , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , anthuk , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mevennais , p sands , Fastbaz , MikeandJayne , mummybear , Whitey , ROXY , TforTerry , bandb666 , louiseandgraham , Koala Services , craig hampson , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , HappyValley , bonjgb , PauldN , gurt , PK Thor , DJ59 , LisaHemelSupport , Jsims , Jackie-Jon , ljashcroft , sarahwebb , TwinMumRoch , Chrisxx , Mick and ivy , PurdyPrimose , Jabulani , IanC , Rosbif Pete , diane74 , suzylillie 14 , mariarose , neil2439 , redkeech , Nataliedavies33 , Taylor2013 , Pucey08 , SPR1NGY , Newowner2015 , chanz4 , Wannabe Owner , jjfbrooks , Julesatkilnpark , Mart and Lyn , bwfc , loiner1965 , Pauline52 , michellewilson88 , Keithly7461 , Kathmorg , Suzyq , BirdieGolf , CF Dave , The Red Duke , Bez , DGM11 , Stefanfoley , Gyps , stewie3004 , sharonperky , Amanda27 , cpr0305 , Cherished , jacosia65 , Clintoncat , Erin-RF1989 , Louandebony , Aled42690 , jsb , Bahooney , gem2k89 , HappyCamper123 ,