Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Good time to buy?

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
mdeno2807
Posts in topic: 3

Good time to buy?

Post by mdeno2807 » 2 years ago

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a caravan. We've fell in love with one at Haggerston Castle, and would be in a position to complete the purchase within the next 4 weeks. Considering we'll have the site fees for the remainder of the year to pay, not to mention next years fee's due in a few months too, is it worth buying now, or should we hold off and risk losing the caravan we've got our eyes on?

When would be best to buy? The Sales Adviser, though clearly after a sale, said by getting in early, we'd secure more guaranteed income bookings for 2017.

Advice welcomed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeKGS
Super** Member
Super** Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Good time to buy?

Post by MikeKGS » 2 years ago

Hi

I've been an owner on PV for about 4 years now, and frankly whenever you buy BL are going to get their pound of flesh. My answer is, when will you get it and when will you use it?

Let me explain, the year we bought out caravan we took ownership just before the start of the summer holidays (we'd purchased it about a month earlier), and at the time we had two kids (three now). My wife and the kids spent ALL summer at the van, which made it worth it. If you would plan to do something similar then, absolutely go for it now. Towards the end of the season, say mid to late October time they usually start offering the vans with next years fees included, but

a) thats 4 months of holidays/ weekends away you'll be missing
b) I'm fairly confident the add the cost to the van

My only other advise is go for a van with central heating and double glazing. For the first 3 years we had a Horizon and I HATED it as we used it throughout the season. At the end of last year I told my wife I wanted to get rid of the van because, while her and the kids enjoyed it I didn't and I was sick of paying for something I didn't like. In the end she convinced me (as only my wife can) that I was in fact wrong and we should try spending (copious amounts of) money on a new van, and if I still disliked it this year then we'd ditch it. So we went for a St David. It's transformed my experience. I love going. I'm sad I'm going on a stag do this weekend and missing time with the family at the van.

Vans without central heating and double glazing can be good value, but as soon as you're not in high summer they start getting... uncomfortable.

Anyway lecture over :)

Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mdeno2807

Thanks for your advice Mike. The van we have looked at has central heating and double glazing. Our little one is 2 and a half, and my wife works part time with Thurs-Sun off, so we'd get plenty of enjoyment over the coming summer months. I guess my concern is that by the time we are in a position to buy, which is still about 4 weeks away, it'll be August before we start getting any use of it, and I'd want some assurance that it will be let between August - October in order to recoup at least some of the remaining site fees we are set to pay. I'm sure we could probably let it privately during that time, but being a newcomer to this whole holiday home ownership, I had planned to let Haven let as much as possible for the first year until we'd got to grips with things.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeKGS
Super** Member
Super** Member

Post by MikeKGS » 2 years ago

They will be able to give you an exact figure if you go for the guaranteed letting option.

Honestly though, you'll never get as much back as you think you will. We look on it as a bonus if we get the site fees back. Essentially (and I hate to sound pessimistic) you're writing the money of the van off over a number of years. Inspite of what some salespeople tell you, it is unlikely the van will pay for itself.

If you look as it as an investment in your family time then it works out better!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitey
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Whitey » 2 years ago

August is your peak time selling period though???

Off peak, short breaks are hard to sell unless you're willing to let them go cheap. Just look at how much Haven sell themselves for on the website!!

I'd say the very end of the year when you can include next years fee's, although you can do that anyway if you ask and include it with your finance package if you are heading in that direction. Or, buy at the beginning of the year, so you are set up for May and past the worst of the weather.

Letting before May Spring Bank holiday is a hard sell, where as after this point it's quite easy. Obviously if you're letting though Haven's letting scheme, this won't bother you, but do take the time to check what they are paying you against what you can let it yourself for. Also remember to take Cleaning and linen into consideration.

You can also do a mix of private lets and Haven lets, if you've managed not to sell some time at the van when you know you wont be there.

Finally, as Mike said, you will also have that invaluable family time at the van.

They say you can put a price on your time at the van....... well I do, every weekend we spend there, I call it £100.00 towards what we would have got from a let. When calculating up at the end of the year, you'll have your real income from letting, then your added family time value to that and you'll find the income more bearable to view against the loss in value of your van.

Loss of value to the van........ there's a whole different can of worms opened for another time.

Good luck and best wishes,

Joe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mdeno2807

Thanks for the comments Joe - much appreciated.

I sent a long list of questions to the sales adviser we dealt with; however returning from our break, and reading this forum, and facebook comments have helped answer a lot of them. I'd be interested to see what you lot think, compared to the answers the sales adviser comes back with - he's yet to, though I only sent them through yesterday.

Q) Do you provide your own bed-linen? If so, presumably this is an additional cleaning charge if letting privately - on average how much would we expect to have to pay for cleaning/laundry when letting privately if:
a) we used Haven's cleaners.
b) we found a cleaner ourselves, and made use of Meet & Greet too - something which I like the sound of

Q) On average, how much would you say you pay in repairs per annum?

Q) When the facilities close during Nov - Jan, does this include the Owners Lounge? I presume so, but just double checking.

Q) The brochure we picked up gave additional costs on top of site fees, for things such as:
- water rates, approx £330
- non-domestic business rates, approx £237
- gas/electric, approx £419
- insurance, approx £294
- drain down, approx £75
- TOTAL, approx £1,355

It didn't include things such as gas/electric safety certificates, PAT testing, TV license. What other 'extras' would we expect to have to pay out for, and approximately how much would this amount to?
EDIT: - Found Keith's 'Owners Spreadsheet' - fantastic!

Q) Is there a maximum caravan age for sub-letting through Haven? The caravan we have our eye on is a 2012 model. I've seen mention of a 7-year maximum. Does this mean that come 2019, Haven would possibly turn round and tell us we can no longer sub-let through them? It might not be a huge issue as eventually (maybe even by year 2) I'd like to be letting privately, but I'd like to know what to expect, without it being shock news.

Q) The brochure we have says the initial license period is 12 years. Is this 12 years from when we buy - and what happens at the end of the 12 years? Will it cost us to renew the license, and if so, how much?

Q) Final one - I've seen complaints from owners when letting through Haven about the Sun £9.50 holidays, and not receiving much income as a result. Presumably this is for dates that aren't guaranteed income, in which case we could realistically look to let privately during these dates instead - which I would probably do anyway.

Apologies for all the questions, you have a real newbie on your hands! Better to ask the daft questions and be 100% clear, than leave any doubt in our minds, and end up being sorely mistaken in future.

Thanks again all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

mdeno2807 wrote:Thanks for the comments Joe - much appreciated.

I sent a long list of questions to the sales adviser we dealt with; however returning from our break, and reading this forum, and facebook comments have helped answer a lot of them. I'd be interested to see what you lot think, compared to the answers the sales adviser comes back with - he's yet to, though I only sent them through yesterday.

Q) Do you provide your own bed-linen? If so, presumably this is an additional cleaning charge if letting privately - on average how much would we expect to have to pay for cleaning/laundry when letting privately if:
a) we used Haven's cleaners. - Included in their service
b) we found a cleaner ourselves, and made use of Meet & Greet too - something which I like the sound of

Q) On average, how much would you say you pay in repairs per annum? - £0 - But I don't sub let

Q) When the facilities close during Nov - Jan, does this include the Owners Lounge? I presume so, but just double checking. - On most parks yes, but not 100% sure about Haggerston

Q) The brochure we picked up gave additional costs on top of site fees, for things such as:
- water rates, approx £330
- non-domestic business rates, approx £237
- gas/electric, approx £419
- insurance, approx £294 - You can find your own and save approx £100
- drain down, approx £75 - You can use your own contractor or even cheaper do it yourself (instructions on here)
- TOTAL, approx £1,355

It didn't include things such as gas/electric safety certificates, PAT testing, TV license. What other 'extras' would we expect to have to pay out for, and approximately how much would this amount to? - Gas, Electric & PAT testing - use your own contractor
EDIT: - Found Keith's 'Owners Spreadsheet' - fantastic! - Glad you found it useful :big_grin: Have you seen the HOF Guide?

Q) Is there a maximum caravan age for sub-letting through Haven? The caravan we have our eye on is a 2012 model. I've seen mention of a 7-year maximum. Does this mean that come 2019, Haven would possibly turn round and tell us we can no longer sub-let through them? It might not be a huge issue as eventually (maybe even by year 2) I'd like to be letting privately, but I'd like to know what to expect, without it being shock news. - Yes at present Haven will only use vans up to 7 years old - but You'll be doing it yourself by then :thumbup:

Q) The brochure we have says the initial license period is 12 years. Is this 12 years from when we buy - and what happens at the end of the 12 years? Will it cost us to renew the license, and if so, how much? - No cost to renew - it's done automatically (I've been on Presthaven for 22 years)

Q) Final one - I've seen complaints from owners when letting through Haven about the Sun £9.50 holidays, and not receiving much income as a result. Presumably this is for dates that aren't guaranteed income, in which case we could realistically look to let privately during these dates instead - which I would probably do anyway. - DIY :thumbup:

Apologies for all the questions, you have a real newbie on your hands! Better to ask the daft questions and be 100% clear, than leave any doubt in our minds, and end up being sorely mistaken in future.

Thanks again all.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mevennais
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mevennais » 2 years ago

Keith wrote:

a) we used Haven's cleaners
. - Included in their service

Thanks again all.
Keith, the question was cleaning costs letting privately but using Haven cleaners. Don't know how much they charge. We always used our own cleaners who charged £30 + vat for cleaning and bedding laundering. We provided 3 sets of bedding.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

mevennais wrote:
Keith wrote:

a) we used Haven's cleaners
. - Included in their service

Thanks again all.
Keith, the question was cleaning costs letting privately but using Haven cleaners. Don't know how much they charge. We always used our own cleaners who charged £30 + vat for cleaning and bedding laundering. We provided 3 sets of bedding.
:oops: :redface:
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , ste , johnturley , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , Chamonix400 , mevennais , Jc1981 , MikeKGS , mummybear , Whitey , mansel , bandb666 , Koala Services , Tj123 , HappyValley , kemlo , Neilly75 , The Red Duke , DGM11 , robert-l , sharonperky , mdeno2807 , bobarrow , be53nys , Stewlis , cpr0305 , daniellesden , Cherished , Eileenbi-1 , Bahooney , peggy123 ,

Return to “I Want to Buy A Caravan”