Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Transferring ownership

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Jennieccles
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 2

Transferring ownership

Post by Jennieccles » 2 years ago

I read in the pdf that caravans can be transferred to family, but that Haven will require proof of family. What about if someone isn't blood related but sees my children as their grandkids and want to give us the caravan so the kids can continue to enjoy using it? Can they transfer it without money changing hands, or does Haven take an admin fee or something?

If it has to be sold, can it be just a token amount, or are Haven then more likely to say they want to buy it at that price?, say £1000?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mevennais
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Transferring ownership

Post by mevennais » 2 years ago

Depending on how trusting you are of the owner, why don't you leave it registered to them but pay all fees (site fees, rates, water, electricity and gas). You get full use of the caravan and no complications from Haven. Your friends can give you Privilege cards for your family as they get 10 per year. I know a few people who have this arrangement. Works well for them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

It is very unlikely that Haven will allow a transfer to non-family members. If they did this would mean the end of private sales, because any owner could just claim that the new buyer was 'a very close friend'.

It is also unlikely that they will allow a private sale at a 'token' price.

Having said all that, because every situation is different, I suggest that your friends speak to the Caravan Sales Manager at Seton (I think it is still Grant McNally) and discuss the options with them because which ever way it is done any change of ownership will have to be done through the park.

As mevennais has suggested the only other option is for the ownership of the caravan to remain as is and for you to take over all payments. However this may not be the best option and is likely to cause problems in the future.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jennieccles
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jennieccles » 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

We are very trusting of the owner of the caravan however, I'm unsure that us just taking over the payments would work. We'd be having to sublet to cover the site fees etc and hopefully my husband's mum is going to be sharing half of the burden of these costs too, so I'm worried it would cause complications. Plus, in the awful event that anything happened to the owner, where would that leave us?

Unfortunately the owner isn't getting the use out of it anymore and is unable to afford the fees, as he can't continue to arrange the subletting bookings etc. He doesn't want to charge us for it, he simply wants us to have it and for him not to have to worry about it anymore. I am happy and more than capable of arranging all the subletting etc but would prefer it done properly.

Of course, I feel the owner shouldn't need to pay out anything since he's being kind enough to want to give us the van. However, if we have all the site fees etc to find for next season, we can't really afford to pay any admin fee to them either.. There must be something they could do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

The Red Duke

Post by The Red Duke » 2 years ago

I guess if you are very trusting of the owner, you could buy it from them for the minimum Haven would accept, let Haven take their commission and then the current owner could gift the balance back to you.

That way you have fulfilled the legal requirements for ownership and bought it for the minimum cost.

I accept it's not a perfect solution and there may be tax implications.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Helen

Post by Helen » 2 years ago

Just been reading the guide to buying, with haven having first refusal do they ever buy so then unable to sell to who you want? How do they decide what price you can sell at? I am also looking at buying privately. :confused:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Steve&Liz , johnturley , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , mevennais , TforTerry , Koala Services , Tj123 , HappyValley , terrymw , Lancecarr , Neilly75 , Kathmorg , CF Dave , The Red Duke , Jennieccles , Helen , Funkyboy , srbagpuss , robert-l , Erin-RF1989 , Louandebony , gem2k89 ,

Return to “I Want to Buy A Caravan”