Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Considering buying multiple vans......

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
BarryDot
Posts in topic: 3

Considering buying multiple vans......

Post by BarryDot » 2 years ago

Hello forum!

This might start to sound like one of those awful chain emails - "I'm Joe from _____ and a prince with your name has died and left his money behind"
But bare with me!

I have recently been fortunate to have come into some money.
I am considering the viability of buying multiple static vans and renting them privately.
Am I mental? Am I going to potentially lose all this money and make a massive mistake or is this a perfectly sound business idea?
When I say multiple vans, I mean 10 or so. I think that the returns could be greater than buying a property for the same value and renting that? Creating a business at the same time that will then allow me to spend my time in a place I love (Norfolk) rather than essex.
Also I figure the potential initial discounts could be interesting if all bought at one park?.

Anyone here done this either gradually building up or total outlay and how are you finding it?

Tell me people, what do you think?

regards,
BarryDot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Considering buying multiple vans......

Post by HappyValley » 2 years ago

Well personally I think you would end up losing an awful lot of your money. Renting caravans out privately just about pays the ground rent and the other necessary outgoings, like insurance etc but will barely scratch the surface of the capital outlay. Don't forget, caravans depreciate from the moment they are bought. There is repairs and maintenance to factor in, yearly PAT tests, gas safety checks, electrical tests, gas and electric bills (holidaymakers don't care how much they run your bills up). Insurance, TV licenses, water and sewage bills, and I am sure a lot more. It would be much safer to buy just the one caravan for your own use and let it out just enough to cover your overheads and see how it goes for a season at least, before going in as deep as 10 vans! At least that will give you your own holiday home, and a chance to see for yourself the potential pitfalls. I am not trying to come across as negative, but there are much better and safer ways of investing your money.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BarryDot

Hi HV,

I appreciate your input, this is why I registered and asked after all! This is your lots world, not mine. All I know is, I love every moment I'm in Hopton and wondered if there was money in multiple vans. I'm looking for a business and a reason to stay up that way. Seems this isn't the way! Thank you :)
I know people that have 2/3/4 vans and they always seem happy and content and talk about the rewards it brings. After much reading last night, I'm now thinking theyre just making it up as they go along haha.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

Hi Barry

I didn't get chance to reply to your post last night. I agree with most of what HappyValley has said.
Buying A static caravan is about buying into a new lifestyle, not usually a financial investment. However that does not mean that you can't get a 'return' on your ownership.

The best return is from doing all the rentals yourself and not using either Haven or an agency to let it for you. You would have to rent your van(s) for as many dates as required and at the rental price you require to cover the costs of ownership, most of which HappyValley has listed.

The big issue with buying static caravans is the amount of depreciation they suffer, this is very high and very rapid. This can be partially offset by making sure you buy the right van initially. Many an owner has lost thousands of pounds by buying a 'cheaper' van to start with and the upgrading to a van that actually meets their needs.

Another type of business may be a more profitable investment if all you want is a financial return. However buying a caravan for use by family and friends can give an immeasurable return in fun, friendship, memories, and relaxation etc. I have owned the same van on the same park for 22 years now and consider it the best investment I ever made; it has benefited all my family and friends over all those years and it is well worth every penny I spend on it

As with any business plan, your initial ideas and dreams may not be realised, but you should never just dismiss the idea, research your idea in depth and you may find that with some modification in your hopes and expectations you can be successful.

Myself and our other owners are more than willing to help you by answering any questions and giving our views and advice based on our personal experiences and knowledge.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BarryDot

Thanks Keith,

I know we are going to buy a personal van regardless, this is without question. Just trying to find a way to make some money back and such and such.

Does anybody that you know of on the forums runs businesses doing external cleaning, carpet cleaning and gardening etc at parks and privately, not hired by the park?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member

Post by bradders » 2 years ago

Keith has hit the nail on the head.

If you spend, say, £300,000 on 10 caravans within 15 years your assets will be worth £10,000 or so.
If you spend 3x£100,000 on buy-to-let properties the value of those in 15 years will be £250-350,000 depending on how house prices go. But the chances are you'll have something worth around the same as you paid for it and be able to sell it on relatively easily - easier than selling a caravan as many on this forum will tell you!!

If you do well you could end up with a net profit around £2,000 per caravan - the ground rent, insurance, rates, wear and tear and power costs should never be under estimated. Those returns could well diminish as your caravan gets older. But say all goes well that's a nice return of £20,000p.a

Three buy to lets bought without mortgage in the right area should be seeing you make £10,000+p.a.

So you'd make less each year on houses - although the time required to manage these would be far less. But the key thing is that your initial investment is on a downward trajectory from day one to the point your £300,000 is worthless - something that is highly unlikely with other investments.

If you love the area, then why not invest the majority in something that gives you a return and buy a caravan for yourself and your family. Try letting that out during the year, see how you find it. And then maybe buy a 2nd van with the profits from your other investments :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith 2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Keith 2 » 2 years ago

Don't do it.

If it was that profitable Haven would not sell vans to owners . One van for a lifestyle is great. Depends on your circumstances if you think Haven is the best for you. Personally I would not choose Haven. But as I say a personal choice. If you love an area look around for other sites as well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Alexa [Bot] , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , ste , westlawn , Steve&Liz , rosiefcb , springhay , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , maggie and rob , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mevennais , p sands , mummybear , Whitey , TforTerry , bandb666 , louiseandgraham , Tj123 , borolad , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , HappyValley , PauldN , Peter_F , dingledong , Chrisxx , Jabulani , toomey1133 , Neilly75 , Parrydise , Bigoldman , MKE , BarryDot , Mr D George69 , TonyGamble , stewie3004 , cpr0305 , peggy123 ,