Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Buying a caravan

Just visiting?
Would you like to ask our members a question?
Post your question here (and don't forget to come back to read the replies).

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Pucey08

Buying a caravan

Post by Pucey08 » 3 years ago

i am in the process of buying a caravan privately can you please advise who pays the change over fees as i am getting conflicting replies also the site is at primrose valley the decking is wood and i have been told by one caravan owner that this has to be changed to the plastic type decking which could cost around 5 thousand pounds which we would not have having paying cash for the caravan and site fees up front is this correct and would this be imminent i have never purchased a caravan before and i am beginning to have doubts but do not want to miss out as it is a lovely caravan but as this money is from our pension fund we have to make sure we are doing the right thing any other advice you can give would be most welcome
thank you

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mevennais
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Buying a caravan

Post by mevennais » 3 years ago

First instinct is to say don't do it, however if you intend to go ahead, you can get a new good sized balcony for £3000 from AW Leisure. Officially the seller has to pay the change-over fees, normal convention is to add the fees to the selling price of the caravan so the seller ends up with the amount they want. Just make sure you take into account all the ongoing costs of ownership. There will be rates, water/sewage, insurance electricity availability charge plus the ever increasing ground rent. You will also be paying full ground rent as the rebate is only paid if you buy a Haven caravan.
Good luck. We are moving off Primrose Valley and away from Bourne Leisure due to their greed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Koala Services
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Koala Services » 3 years ago

Brian is correct there, ground rent went up by nearly £250 this year and by £140 the year before at PV.
We were told by the salesman that ground rent would never go up by more than inflation when we bought our van.
There are many other privately owned parks to consider rather than Haven and many are considerably cheaper.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

seabird7

Post by seabird7 » 3 years ago

I totally agree with the previous post. We actually sold our caravan at Seashore last month due to the continual drain on our resources. I cant comment about the decking other than Haven are very strict about this. We had the plastic decking and they would only allow this to be moved if it was done by their approved agent and re-sited by them at considerable cost to ourselves. As mentioned earlier, buying privately you wont get the annual discount for buying through Haven, so you would need to check the site fees for the pitch you are going to be on and factor this in as it will make a difference. To the full site fees you need to add at least £1000.00 for insurance/water rates and council tax and that is before charges for gas/electric. It might be worth looking at the caravans your site has for sale as they will be looking to do deals, and if you bargain with them you might get next years site fees thrown in (and don't pay the full asking price!) Otherwise you will be paying 2016 site fees by the end of the year. The caravan you are looking at buying will be cheaper but you need to be aware of all the implications. Good luck!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by springhay » 3 years ago

There are no changeover fees as such. If you buy now, you wont have to pay the remaining site fees for this season. There is a commission paid to Bourne of 15% inc vat which is deducted from the owner when the transaction goes through.

Even though its a private sale, the money is paid directly to Bourne who then pay the owner in about two weeks time after that. You will also have this season insurance, rates, water, sewage etc., etc., If I were you, I would simply speak to Sarah Ward in the office for a full total of the costs you will pay this year. Then there will be no conflicting replies ..... and check about the decking. Whether you can keep the wooden one (doubt it) or whether you could pick up any second hand.

Think crefully about future site fee increases - they seem to be a moveable feast and nobody ever knows until they hit the doormat, how much they will be. But good luck with your decision!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pucey08
1* Member
1* Member
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pucey08 » 2 years ago

can anyone advise been told to check pitch licence if buying from a private owner can anyone tell me that if you exchange licence can haven make you move pitch or do you have that pitch for the remainder of the licence any help would be appreciated
Pucey08

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by springhay » 2 years ago

Never heard mention of a licence before concerning a private sale - or any other come to that. the park has a license yes but I dont think individua plots have. Just get everything in writing that yu are not sure about. But definitely get a pitch with hard standng for your car....it can be a mud bath in wet weather otherwise! Decking? Hve a look at private vans which already have decking to avoid additional costs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

When you buy a caravan on a Holiday Park (Haven or any other) you sign an agreement or licence that allows you to keep your van on that park for x number of years. Some parks will request that you upgrade or move your van after the given term of the licence e.g. 12 years.

Haven don't do this and licences are then renewed every season, providing you pay your fees and adhere to all the rules.

When you buy privately you will inherit the time remaining on the existing owners licence, so you may get a licence for the remaining 2 years of a 12 year initial licence; this as I have said is not a problem on a Haven park, but may be on non-haven parks.

I have written about this in the HOF Guide in section 2.5 Is Buying Privately a Good Idea
Your site licence will usually be for the remainder of the previous owners site licence e.g. if the site licence for a caravan bought from the Park Owner is 10 years and you buy from an owner who has been on the park for 6 years, your licence will be for 4 years instead of the 10 years you would get if you bought from the park.

This DOES NOT mean you will have to move or upgrade your caravan at the end of the licence term, licences are usually renewed on an annual basis from then on, but you should, of course, always check with your Park Owner for full details.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pucey08
1* Member
1* Member

thank you for that info because where the caravan is in a lovely spot which is why we are wanting to buy this particular caravan the only doubt was if haven would make us move but have been told to check this with haven and to get everything in writing i feel a bit better now knowing that we have the remainder of the licence, will check how long licence was for and what is remaining so thank you

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pucey08
1* Member
1* Member

can anyone give any advice on how to find a cleaner for my caravan at primrose valley i dont really want to use a cleaning company so if anyone has any suggestions it would be most grateful

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , beachfan17 , ste , westlawn , Steve&Liz , rosiefcb , springhay , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , fairyqueen , Lynn and Carl , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Woodgnome , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , Fastbaz , MikeKGS , Whitey , mansel , TforTerry , bandb666 , Koala Services , Tj123 , mrsnowman , allyt25 , CoffeeAndBaileys , HappyValley , jamiep , bonjgb , Tez & Shaz , PauldN , Frankieboy , woodyh24a , DJ59 , LisaHemelSupport , Jsims , dingledong , Chrisxx , Jabulani , seabird7 , alisonasb , Maxandmillie63 , Briangoldensun , deano99 , nikipowell , Nataliedavies33 , punto3 , Taylor2013 , Pucey08 , Shanimills , Psc , chanz4 , Wannabe Owner , CANDS , Mart and Lyn , Parrydise , MikeB , Bigoldman , Sallygould , Newby , steven_old_english , allsopj52 , johnp , Hariba1 , cpr0305 , peggy123 ,