Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Changes to the forum Software

Please subscribe to this forum so you are informed of all new messages.

Moderator: Keith

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 6

Changes to the forum Software

Post by Keith » 4 years ago

phpBB, the software on which our forum is based have released a new version that will make all forums using this software base more stable and much more 'mobile friendly'.

I will be making the switch to the new software over the next week or so, hopefully without too much disruption to service, but it is quite possible that the forum will not be available for short periods.

Unfortunately one of the side effect of changing to the new software is that some of the 'features' and additions made to our forum over the years will not be compatible with the new software and will therefore not be available. Most of these are cosmetic and won't affect the functions of the forum, however the major loss will be the CLASSIFIED ADS section.

I will include a new 'Classified Ads' section as soon as a compatible version is available. In the meantime I will redirect all Classified links to our sister site Static Caravan Classifieds

I hope this change won't cause too much inconvenience and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support and understanding.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Re: Changes to the forum Software

I have brought the forum back on-line in its original format. I am still working to resolve the issues with the new software and I will have to take it off-line again in a day or so when I have sorted these 'gremlins' :scratch:

When the software is finally updated you will see that some of the features of this forum such as 'Thanks for the Post' will have gone :crying: unfortunately these features are not compatible with the new software, but the authors of these features are developing new versions so I will bring them back as soon as the authors release stable versions.

Thanks again for your patience and support.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member

Post by springhay » 4 years ago

Many thanks Keith.......just in time to hear how everyone's end of season parties went!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnturley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnturley » 4 years ago

I had a great deal of difficulty in logging on again after the shutdown due to password issues, also the system appears to have 'lost' the posts relating to BL Caravan Insurance.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

johnturley wrote:I had a great deal of difficulty in logging on again after the shutdown due to password issues, also the system appears to have 'lost' the posts relating to BL Caravan Insurance.

John
I'm sorry about that John. The upgrade I'm doing involves changes to the forum database and that is where I had problems. :error:
It corrupted the database and to keep the forum on-line I have had to restore from the back up copy and it seems a few posts may have been lost in the transition. :redface:
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Run King
6* Member
6* Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Run King » 4 years ago

I would recommend a shorter than 12 character password. Most forums, bank and other membership passwords require approx eight digits

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Run King
6* Member
6* Member

I think this forum is currently 16 characters

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

At present the settings for user passwords are 'between 12 and 30 characters' and 'must contain letters and numbers'

unfortunately there is a bug in the password generator for members who have forgotten their passwords and auto generated passwords do not always meet this criteria :evil:

The forum will be off-line again for periods over the coming weekend while I carry out more updates. when the new software is fully installed and working correctly I will look at the password criteria and ask members what they would like with the understanding that changes will mean EVERYBODY will have to have a new password.
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Run King
6* Member
6* Member

Good idea Keith. I'm happy (as I'm sure other existing members are) with my current password because the computer remembers login details but I must say that when enrolling - it was a task to think of a memorable password with that many digits so it may put off to new sign-ups. I have found this forum invaluable especially as a first-time caravan owner.

Keep up the great work !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnturley
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnturley » 3 years ago

At one time I only had to enter login details very infrequently maybe just a couple of times a year, recently I seem to have to enter them almost every other time I want to access the site. With the the software demanding a very long password, I have to look in up every time which I find rather inconvenient.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Lloydies , bradders , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , crusaderpete , Steve&Liz , johnturley , amyamy1246 , springhay , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , Duke , Mark10 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , lhiggonyoung , TforTerry , Koala Services , CoffeeAndBaileys , bx56san , HappyValley , bonjgb , bottoc , AnthF , Bugs ,