Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Do You Remember The Good Old Days?

All posts on this forum should be specific to BUTLINS Parks. Any posts that are non specific will be moved to a more relevant forum.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 1

Do You Remember The Good Old Days?

Post by Keith » 3 years ago

Do you remember the Butlins monorail?

This fascinating British Pathe archive footage shows the pleasure ride in its early days at the Skegness holiday camp.

The monorail is seen being designed and built before taking holidaymakers on a ride around the site in 1965.

At the time, it was the first commercial monorail in the UK, and it ran 16ft above the ground.

The trains carried 50 passengers each, and were replaced in the 1990s before the monorail was dismantled for good in 2002.

Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HappyValley
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Do You Remember The Good Old Days?

Post by HappyValley » 3 years ago

I have many wonderful memories of the good old days at Butlins, but never went to the Skegness camp. My holidays were at Clacton in the late 1950s. There was something that was pure magic about the place- the redcoats, the gaiety theatre, the swimming pools- even the chalets. But never saw a monorail. You could see the chairlifts in the background, presumable going to the beach. Filey had one when I went there once in the early 60s.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member

Post by springhay » 3 years ago

I have a photo of my mum and dad on the chairlift at Filey - early 60's which I treasure.....everything after that was somewhere in Europe - but its the local holidays as a child I remember the most. I also have a photo of myself at around 10 outside the shops in Primrose Valley -- which is the reason Im there now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

smarson73
6* Member
6* Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by smarson73 » 3 years ago

Hafan y Môr had a chairlift back in the 80's when it was a butlins site. i remember using it as a young teen to get to the beech.
with the monorail at skegness butlins, its so sad to see but each week when we go to Golden sands we pass the carriages. they are looking worse for ware. just left in a farmers yard. i will try to get a photo of them when we pass at the weekend and will post it on here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisandwendy
Power Member
Power Member

Post by chrisandwendy » 3 years ago

hi
here's some links to some pictures of what's left of the monorail carriages.as smarson73 says they are in a field just up the road from golden sands mablethorpe.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20 ... 40x480.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20 ... 40x480.jpg

Chris and Wendy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith 2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Keith 2 » 3 years ago

If you want a bit more info I picked up a booklet today at our site which is 50 years of bourne Leísure celebrated in 2014. Makes an interesting read as it covers, haven, butlins and warners.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

smarson73
6* Member
6* Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by smarson73 » 3 years ago

These are the photos I took today. Not too clear as now got a trailer parked outside in front of them.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , ste , Bing [Bot] , Clapham1972 , Shanimills , Bigoldman ,

Return to “Butlins”