Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.
I am pleased to be able to bring our forum back on-line. The reasons for me taking it away have not all been resolved, but the situation now is that I am able to bring it back to see if it still has a future. I will keep it live as long as there is a demand for it and that demand with be determined by its usage.

Unfortunately, I am not an owner anymore and it is very unlikely that I will be again, this means that I no longer have the ability to keep the content of the forum up to date and ensure the information given is accurate; that is something that will now depend on the forum members.

The forum will be maintained through Redstick Enterprises, but I will still monitor the forum's function, content and membership applications.

I would like to know if anybody is interested in taking on the role of Forum Administrator and helping to ensure the forum maintains the standards and quality of content set by all our members.

If anybody is interested in the role of Admin, or if any of the original Moderators wish to have that role reinstated, please let me know by emailing hof@redstick-enterprises.co.uk

I am sure that quite a few of you may have lost or forgotten your log in details, and if that is the case, then email hof@redstick-enterprises.co.uk and you will be sent a temporary password so you can log in and set your own new password.

best regards as always

Keith

p.s. When you have read this announcement, you can disable it by clicking the 'x' in the top right corner.

TURN YOUR STOP TAP OFF!!!

Hints, Tips, Advice, Contacts, Problems, Etc. If its about maintaning your caravan, Post it here.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 4

TURN YOUR STOP TAP OFF!!!

Post by Keith » 4 years ago

Every year I post a similar message, but for the benefit of our new members.

From the end of October you should TURN YOUR STOP TAP OFF every time you leave your van to go home. It is a simple 2 minute job and can save you a lot of heart ache.

It doesn't matter if you have booked a drain down by Haven or by some other contractor IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THE STOP TAP IS OFF. It is also a condition of your insurance, so make sure you are covered.

The ideal procedure is;
1. Turn the stop tap off
2. open all the taps, including the shower
3. disconnect the water supply at the stop tap

This will allow most of the water in the pipes to drain out and in the event of a freeze any water left in the pipes will expand along the pipes with out damaging them.
When you return to your van all you do is the same in reverse.

It may seem a bit of a pain, but it is worth it.

You have spent a lot of money on your van please don't spoil your pride and joy by not doing this.

It is so important that I will repeat the message TURN YOUR STOP TAP OFF EVERY TIME YOU LEAVE YOUR VAN TO GO HOME.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tj123
8* Member
8* Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TURN YOUR STOP TAP OFF!!!

Post by Tj123 » 4 years ago

Hi all

Can I ask a bit of further advice please, this is our first winter of ownership.

Our van has central heating so want to enjoy a few more weekends yet through the winter. (Maybe even Christmas) How is it best to leave the central heating when not there? I have had mixed advice.

Also how should the heating be left once it has been drained down?

Is it essential to carry out point 3 - disconnection of the water supply each time - is this easy?

I will drain down early Jan until March.

Thanks for helping me out new to all this!!

Tim

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member

Post by springhay » 4 years ago

Hi Tim, As you say, you've had mixed advice and Im afraid this will always be the case. I personally leave my heating on, at frost setting which I was advised by the installation engineer. I was going to suggest (if its a Haven purchase) that you ask someone in an official capacity (in the office), then nothing can come back on you either way...... Since its your first year, I would also let Haven do the drain down, for similar reasons. However - I dont think they would advise leaving it so late so Im not sure about that one! They usually send out warning letters to drain down in November.....But what I would strongly suggest, is that you read the wording in your insurance policy regarding winter. You dont want to end up with a claim that's invalid! Im staying a bit longer this year myself but I will turn the water tap off every visit. Good luck!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Tim

I won't give advise about your CH, because I don't have any so don't have any 'hands on' experience.

With regards to 'Step 3' Disconnecting the water supply. It is easy to do - you just unscrew the pipe from the stop tap - this allows water to drain back out of the pipes and makes it easier for any remaining water to expand along the pipes in the event of a freeze.

I don't actually disconnect my water supply, because I have added a secondary 'Drain Tap' just after the stop tap so all I need to do is close the stop tap and open the drain tap, but as most people won't have a drain tap I recommend disconnecting.

If you (or anybody else) wants to see what I've done feel free to look under my van - B2-1 - I'm down again this weekend for the party if you want to call while I'm on site.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lupin15
Power Member
Power Member

Post by lupin15 » 4 years ago

leaving your central heating on means that your pump will be on and off throughout the closed period... this is one of the main parts that tends to go when your caravan is closed down..Its upto you really but we leave ours own after taking advice from a boiler fitter... We have had no problems doing this and the winter a couple of years ago when we had loads of snow one of the biggest problems when people opened up was their pumps. ( plus burst pipes)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

biggabreakfast
Power Member
Power Member

Post by biggabreakfast » 4 years ago

Im in total agreememt with all of the advice above about draining down and protecting yourself from damage.

heres what I do..

irrespective of what time of year it is since the caravan flooded 2 weeks after we bought it in nov 2010, we now turn off and disconnect the water every single time we leave, we also switch off all power at the fuse box.

DRAIN DOWNS MUST BE STARTED before the cold weather sets in, ie by the end of nov...... you're asking for trouble if you don't!!! January is too late - only a lunatic would recommend that advice.

our central heating has antifreeze in it so we leave it filled...... but I always wrap a blanket around the boiler and this year i'm going to wrap a blanket around each radiator as well. I personally went under the caravan to be 100% certain that all pipes were properly insulated and lagged and taped at the joints as the 2010 winter cost us a lot of time to sort out. blown pipes aren't expensive but they're a hassle, our shower mixer bar also gets wrapped now as the brass cartridge froze and had to be replaced in 2011 winter, I learn more every year, but im not an expert.............. yet...............!

Ps. also put car antifreeze down the plug hole of all sinks to prevent any water left freezing up, and in the bottom of toilet pan as well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mansel
Super** Member
Super** Member

Post by mansel » 4 years ago

'we also switch off all power at the fuse box'

Shouldn't you leave the power on so that the Boiler frost protection can work?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caztek
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by caztek » 4 years ago

Hi Keith any chance you can put a photo up of your drain down pipe etc.

Caz

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

It is just a simple two way tap put in line after the stop tap.

I am going down to the van Thursday or Friday and will post a photo then.
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caztek
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by caztek » 4 years ago

Brilliant Thankyou :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , johnturley , Bing [Bot] , mevennais , p sands , Silver Surfer , nessebo , DJ59 , Jon Barnes , dingledong , Mike241246 , alisonasb , Brian Scotney , Nataliedavies33 , Bigoldman , Bez ,

Return to “Caravan Improvements, Repairs & Maintenance”