Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

Thinking about buying caravan but...

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
fizzyfizz
Posts in topic: 2

Thinking about buying caravan but...

Post by fizzyfizz » 9 months ago

I love the idea of heading down to a caravan whenever I wish and am considering making a £30k purchase.

But would it not be cheaper just to book a caravan holiday for a year through Haven's website?

THANKS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Re: Thinking about buying caravan but...

Post by Keith » 9 months ago

There is a huge difference between OWNING a caravan and RENTING one.
When you RENT you will have the use of a caravan for the period of your rental.
However, when you OWN a caravan you have the use of YOUR CARAVAN whenever YOU WANT to use it. Owning a caravan also gives you access to all the OWNER activities and events that you can't do if you rent.

Buying a caravan is buying into a NEW LIFESTYLE not just the occasional holiday, and it is this new lifestyle that makes your investment worth every penny, BUT you must be aware that buying a caravan is NOT AN INVESTMENT THAT WILL MAKE YOU MONEY, it is an investment in Family, Friends and Happiness.

You need to be sure that buying a caravan is the right thing for you to do and you will find all the pros and cons as well as a lot more information in our Buyers Guide
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
fizzyfizz

Post by fizzyfizz » 9 months ago

Thanks for the reply Keith. Yep I understand there's all the additional benefits that come with owning a caravan such as discounts around the complex and an owners swimming pool etc.

BUT, putting those benefits to one side, it would appear that if I rented a caravan for a whole year it'd still be cheaper than buying. Is that right?

I'd also need to regularly sub-let to cover site fees which means I wouldn't necessarily be able to personalise my new holiday home with photos and other items etc.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 9 months ago

Yes, it probably would be cheaper to rent a van for the full season, but there are a few issues, firstly i don't think Haven or any other park owner would rent you the same caravan for a full season, so you would have to move from one van to another, secondly, it would be less expensive to rent directly from an owner rather than the park, but again I'm not sure anybody would accept a full season booking and perhaps most importantly, if you did rent for a whole season, that would be it, but if you owned a van, your holidays will continue over many more years (23 years in my case :big_grin: ).

Sub-letting your caravan now involves a more 'red tape' than it used to with all the new criteria the parks are specifying must be met. However, many owners do sub-let successfully and nearly all of them personalize their vans and just lock certain items away when guests are using it. Most guests appreciate the difference between renting a privately owned van and a fleet van.

You will find the sub letting section of our forum has some posts you may be interested in reading.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , johnturley , Unsy , Bing [Bot] , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Jodie2018 , Louandebony , fizzyfizz , Eileenbi-1 , juddah , beaumaris104 , Aled42690 , _shel , peggy123 , Monkeyman , helenf74 , Jill Platts , kareng2 , narkyknickers , Donnakebab , Sarah b , Annabod , Ruthtt ,