Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

another one of those newby questions but would appreciate advice please

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
apples
Posts in topic: 2

another one of those newby questions but would appreciate advice please

Post by apples » 2 years ago

looking ot buy a used van situated within a 50 mile radius from us in southampton

not looking to make lots money as i simply know thats not the case with these and you here bad stories all over the place

so age limits site fees are the main things, a few places seem to say 15 yr old max, and have 4000 site fees some are 6000!!!

so im wanting to spend up to 20k, no finance so thats a bonus

in an ideal world id like to cover the site fees and put a few grand back in the pot does sound reasonable?

we are not fussed about school holidays etc it can be let fully at those times and we are happy to do the advertising ourselves etc
we have a large touring caravan anyway but i just have an itch to own one, odd weekends away odd 4 day break would be nice for us.

basicly what im asking is, is it possible to buy one for say £15000, let it yourself and make a few grand extra a year ? so in an ideal world you have your money back after say 5 years.???????? which buy then of course will be in need of upgrade

or is it a real struggle letting outside school holidays etc?

many thanks

lee

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: another one of those newby questions but would appreciate advice please

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

No age limit on Haven Parks - My van is 22 years old :big_grin:

Yes, you can buy a van for £15k and cover your fees and have a bit left but you will have to the sub-letting yourself. At £15k you may be better to look for a private sale rather than through Haven.

No, you will not get your £15k capital back no matter how hard you try, However you can get much more than £15k worth of good times and family holidays.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at our buyers guide - links at top of page, and then ask us as many questions as you like.

Also if you are even remotely thinking of buying from Haven get yourself registered for the £1k referral discount, every bit helps.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
apples
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apples » 2 years ago

sorry i should of stated yes ideally to buy privately

im aware when i do buy i have to cover the remaining years fees plus the next which is off putting, i do like the sound of buying one begining year from haven to get 2016 fees included, that way i can take the money in rental for the next years bill.

but i have a limit of 20k

no age restriction!!!! thats good!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

apples24
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apples24 » 2 years ago

now registerd thankyou

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by yorkshirebelle » 2 years ago

Hi there :hello:
I would disagree that you could not make your money back..You wouldn't make it back short term but on a 15,000 van let most of the season you should be able to cover your costs and get your capital back in around 6/7 year.
On top of this you will have a couple of holidays a year for your family & cover your costs.

My van is 16 year old this year but in excellent condition my guests are mostly regulars.
We used the van ourselves only until we moved 3 mile away from the park, since then it has been let. I have had more than my money back. Plus I have 14 years of wonderful memories on Blue Dolphin
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

apples24

thank you my plan was to spend 15-20k and not take a single penny from it, income all goes into a seperate bank account. all fees etc from that bank account hoping to be up a few grand a year if im lucky.

i see a few vans on ebay right move etc most seem traders but i presume these are middle men not haven holidays etc themselves ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle

Post by yorkshirebelle » 2 years ago

apples24 wrote:thank you my plan was to spend 15-20k and not take a single penny from it, income all goes into a seperate bank account. all fees etc from that bank account hoping to be up a few grand a year if im lucky.

i see a few vans on ebay right move etc most seem traders but i presume these are middle men not haven holidays etc themselves ?
Yes you are right not Haven themselves You will not get a van from Haven for that price that would be worth renting. Visit the parks you are interested in ask owners they usually know of private sales.
And yes check Ebay Gumtree ect
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

When you are buying tell the salesmen your limit is 12K if it's really 15K. They will show you vans you don't want at around 12K - ones that are not that nice, then they will show you a much better one for just a few grand more which will be perfect for you ( they'll do the same if you say your limit is 15K if you see what I mean!), and when you see the difference you'll be persuaded to spend that extra few thousand - the'll tell you that you'll easily recoup the extra outlay in rental income which you wouldn't be able to do with the cheaper ones they showed you - BEWARE!! .

Some parks will put you up overnight in one of their vans when you are looking, we had a couple of nights free in a very posh van in Thorpe Park when we were looking. We left that weekend without buying, but returned a couple of weeks later. Also if you have a tourer and you stay on a Haven Park when you buy they will refund the money you paid for your stay in your tourer if you buy on their site.

Do your research - there are plenty of threads on here which have good advice for those wanting to buy a van, choose your park, pitch and van carefully make sure you are happy with all 3 before you sign. - Make sure your park isn't too far away for your own comfort - our first park was 2 hours away which was fine at first but became a bind if we wanted to "pop to the van" just for the day to do some maintenance or check all was well out of season. Now our van is 45 mins away which we prefer. Also in retrospect we'd have gone for a 12ft wide with some sort of heating in and double glazing initially rather than the 10ft single glazed that we first bought - it cost us a lot to upgrade last year. Make sure you are prepared for the ongoing costs which will come up every year and you can afford it before taking the plunge- site fees, insurance, gas and electric checks, utility bills, maintenance etc

Your site fees for the first year will probably be included in the initial price of the van.

We have a van which we have let out for about 7 years now. We sometimes make enough to cover our costs, ie our bills and site fees, but we've never made a profit as such. However covering our costs enables us to keep the van and enjoy the lifestyle. You have to balance the number of rentals with the amount of wear and tear on your van, whether you are prepared to let at quite low prices to compete with the parks own vans in order to get a lot of bookings. You also have to remember obviously when it is being let you can't use it yourself, which means for us sacrificing a high rental booking to be able to use it ourselves during school holidays as we have school age children.

Having said that, we love the lifestyle but are glad we did our research before we bought, but even so we didn't fully appreciate how much the ongoing yearly costs would be, and were very glad in retrospect we didn't take out any finance for the van.

Good Luck! I hope you find what you are lookin for.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Macarw
Power Member
Power Member

Post by Macarw » 2 years ago

If you are looking to buy privately Mrs Mop on this forum is selling their van, but it's at Doniford Bay which might be a bit further away than you would like.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

apples24

weymouth bay called me today to say he had a few one was 8 grand! a 12 ft too

looks like im going down saturday for a good look about i did say to him i wont be signing anything sat and that im also interested in others up to 20

this is one he has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-privat ... 3641.l6368

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , Celtygirl , bradders , Briggsy , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , Macarw , pamjay , springhay , Unsy , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Cliff_Top , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , MikeKGS , mummybear , Whitey , tonyking77 , mal , TforTerry , bandb666 , Koala Services , Garthbr1 , CoffeeAndBaileys , Tez & Shaz , Static , PauldN , bottoc , DJ59 , LisaHemelSupport , Peter_F , Jsims , Nataliedavies33 , bigerik777 , braunston , Prouty33 , Bigoldman , Angela ives , Fozzerbear , apples24 , Mrs T , Karenmarie , jillyb , RachelD , allsopj52 , Wig1 , DGM11 , Helen , Gyps , sarahburns83 ,