Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

considering buying on morton mere

If you are thinking about buying a Static Caravan, post your questions here. Our members have a wealth of knowledge and experience which they are more than willing to share.
You will also find the answers to a lot of your questions in our Buyers Guide.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
jimbo232
Posts in topic: 5

considering buying on morton mere

Post by jimbo232 » 2 years ago

hi im 32 years old and have recently come into some money from an accident, im seriously considering buying a holiday home on Morton mere site in blackpool and was after a few pointers

basically in a nutshell ill only be wanting my holiday home for maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year for the next few years (maybe more dates as family grows) and was considering using the sites rental service

few questions

first let me point out i shall be paying cash not finance plus a full years fees on top of purchase price (im guessing £5,000 should cover it give or take a grand)

at what point in the year will they start offering 2016 site fees instead of the rest of 2015

how much do privately sold homes go for (8 berth) website has used for £17,500 upwards (but im assuming that's a good 40% increase on price they actually paid)

is anybody on Morton mere currently doing similar where they rent theirs through haven except the odd few weeks and if so do you have an idea of what the van brings in yearly using this feature roughly

i mean im not looking at making a huge profit but if i can bring in enough to cover site fees, the shortfall on my rent of £90 per month and maybe some spending money for 1 of my holidays each year ill be happy, is this achievable using the letting service or am i going to have to let privately just to reach this goal

if not then are there any good cleaners on Morton mere that handle cleaning, changing over and what would be the cost to me for this service

just trying to get as much info before i take the plunge so anymore tips others think of would be appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder
Posts in topic: 4

Re: considering buying on morton mere

Post by Keith » 2 years ago

If you only want to use the van for 2 -3 weeks in a season it may make more economical sense to save your capital and just renting a van (renting privately e.g. from one of our members) for the times you want to use it.

If you buy a van you are buying a LIFESTYLE rather than an investment.

You can cover your annual costs by renting and you would get a much higher return by doing the rental yourself rather than through Haven.

First thing to do is, if you've not already done so, is to read our 'Buyers Guide' (link at top of page)

Second thing to do, if you've not already done so, is to register for the Haven referral discount (link at top of page)
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jimbo232

yes im purchasing for a lifestyle but more of a future lifestyle for future kids/family, if i dont use the money now on something worthwhile i fear it will slowly decrease as i can no longer work, therefore forced to rely on state benefits for life, this being said i wont be able to afford luxury's as holidays at such places as blackpool so thought buying a caravan to secure future holidays (twice a year. holidays and switch on) would be a good idea, ive read the guides but not used the referral yet as still waiting for funds to become available in next couple of months, so if i can cover fees and a little extra (£1-2 grand) per year id be happy, so was looking for a rough yearly figure of money coming in for anyone using the rental service and for those renting privately, because if using the rental service can cover costs for the year and ensure me and my family free holidays for 15+ years then id rather go that route

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

To be sure your referral is accepted you need to register for it BEFORE you make contact with Haven. Once they have you listed on their 'system' they are very reluctant to change your status to 'Owner Referral' so I suggest you sort your referral now (it will still be valid if you do eventually but in a few months time).
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jimbo232

damn was hopeing that wasnt the case, i recieved a info pack a couple of weeks ago, but when the time comes i would have moved as well will i be able to use the referal or will it go by my name

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

As soon as you get your new address you should start the application process. I'm pretty sure your new address will confuse them, :scratch: (especially if you could use another contact email and phone number).

The only thing to is to try it. :big_grin:
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jimbo232

yer new number and was going to setup an email just for anything holiday home related, ty for info

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

springhay
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by springhay » 2 years ago

Hi there,

I would seriously speak to a financial advisor (not the ones who sell finance)! for professional advice on your funds. I think its a huge financial commitment for holidays a couple of weeks a year. I understand what you mean about using the money now etc., but your van will depreciate over time, faster than any car, and you might be able to grow your funds in a better way.

Just a thought....becauser once you make the purchase the van will be instantly worth a third less. You can make enough money for fees etc if you rent privately though as many owners will testify. I would just look at all your options first.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bradders » 2 years ago

What Springhay says is spot on.

The depreciation of the value of your van will be horrific. If you change your mind in even 6 months time and think you want to get your money out expect to lose 50% of what you paid for the van, perhaps more. By next year your van will be a year older and of less interest to Haven.

What happens if you don't cover your running costs for the year? Do you have your own funds to top it up? You talk of having to live on benefits so that would be a concern. Yes, it is possible to cover costs, sometimes a little bit more. Making an extra grand or two on top as you say requires some effort and a constant stream of lettings - let it yourself rather than via Haven for the best chance of achieving this. But remember on top of ground rent you have rates, insurance, PAT testing, gas testing, electric, gas and cleaning to cover - all of that can easily add another couple of grand to your on-going costs. Then there's the need to replace things within the van regularly to stop it becoming old and tired and not lettable. Throw in the unexpected bills when the boiler breaks down, a TV needs replacing, the fridge stops working, etc.

I don't want to sound too negative! But you need to go into this with your eyes wide open as to the costs and risks involved, if you search enough posts on this forum you'll find many who regret what they've done - although there are probably a lot more of us who love our vans and accept that financially it makes little sense to own but the lifestyle makes up for it :-)

If you invest the money that you could have spent on a caravan wisely you could make enough return on that investment to book the odd week away via owners directly and still have lots of lovely holidays but without the on-going running costs. Just think that within 5-6 years the £30,000 you have invested in a caravan will have a value of maybe £5-6,000. It would take a rash set of investments to get that kind of return on the stock market!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jimbo232

thankyou for the info thats why im here to get as much info as i can from as many sources not just haven before i decide

yer i understand about the depreciating value and id be wiling to lose 2/3 of the value to secure lifelong holidays, on there website they spew about now not having to remove/upgrade within 10 yrs and how there letting service covers replacements and other stuff they cover but we all know websites like that are supposed to tell you what you want to hear hence coming here to get owners advice to see if anyone used the letting service and was it what it says on the tin basically,
my reasoning for looking at a holiday home was because i cant work to save for holidays so was hoping this route could secure holidays for future kids/gran kids as our family used to go every year to Blackpool and some amazing memory's were made and id like to pass that on.
i was hoping that using the letting service would still bring me £6-7k per year enough to cover costs but not too much im gonna start losing benefits, so im not really looking at an investment in money but more free holidays for life as and when needed as yes funds will be a problem so if there's a small chance im going to have to find funds for fees then ill be forced to sell and its at that point ive lost out but as long as the fees can be covered comfortably using havens letting service then the future holidays outweigh the future money loss

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Andy , landy man , bradders , Steve Morgan , Baidu [Spider] , Exabot [Bot] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , springhay , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Lynn and Carl , Keith 2 , maggie and rob , Marc & Helen , chrisandwendy , mevennais , p sands , MikeandJayne , Whitey , tonyking77 , aspen50 , TforTerry , Koala Services , HappyValley , cristivrajitoru , PauldN , wesleyaldred , LisaHemelSupport , Jsims , Chrisxx , jimbo232 , karen1882 , alisonasb , Jan jan , we-three , Stefanfoley ,