Hello GUEST
Thank you for visiting our forum. We hope you will find it interesting and useful.
If you do, why not REGISTER and you will be able to access all of the forum features.

New members

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, Post it here.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Topic author
springhay
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 3

New members

Post by springhay » 1 year ago

It would be sad to see the decline of this forum - but am I the only person who can't understand the amount of new members - today's page full of Welcome messages -- and yet nobody posts??

Facebook pages are many and varied but there is still space for this forum surely? Or is there a problem people are finding I wonder? Because from what I see it is slowly sinking - a handful of owners post on here, yet joining numbers seem really healthy?

I know Yorkshirebelle put a recent post on a few months ago - but people don't even acknowledge the warm welcome which seems strange? So if there's anyone out there, it would be nice to hear from you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bradders
Power Member
Power Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New members

Post by bradders » 1 year ago

Joining a new forum can be daunting, especially when a group of people seem to know each other, etc. But the easiest way to get around that is by posting and joining in!! Every effort seems to be made to get people joining in, but there's not much happening.

Sadly, many forums I've been an active member of over the years are all going the same way. People chat on Facebook or Twitter instead. I know neither format is everyone's cup of tea. But it does seem to be a common problem not just here :-( There's certainly no easy solution.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
springhay
Power Member
Power Member

That's the strange thing though - new owners are always full of enthusiasm for their van, park, pitch whatever - and want to chat with other owners or ask advice -- anything from quilt protectors to underfloor insulation!

I only approve new people on PV to a Facebook page (not admin I mean) - and they almost always immediately post. That's why I'm wondering if it's being foudn difficult to negotiate the forum pages or something?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

yorkshirebelle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by yorkshirebelle » 1 year ago

As you said Pat I brought this up a couple of months ago & still hardly anyone acknowledging the Welcome. I honestly don't understand Why?

I know that people from BD in previous times have joined & then found it difficult to log on, then they have turned to the FB forum thinking it's the same. Everyone I have recommended I see regularly posting to Facebook.

I must admit I find that even when I've logged in here & pressed remember me it logs me out after a couple of sessions. :confused:

I as you know love Facebook but do not like the FB forum at all it's just far too random.

Someone wanted a van at BD to rent I replied on the thread and was removed because I don't advertise my van on there??

It would indeed be a terrible shame if this forum were to go under as I myself have found valuable information on here & help when it was needed. It was the worst thing ever in my opinion taking the forum onto FB.
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Keith » 1 year ago

yorkshirebelle wrote: It was the worst thing ever in my opinion taking the forum onto FB.
I started the FB group because forum members asked for it and I hoped it would help to promote this forum.

I would close the FB group in an instant if I thought those members would move over and use our forum; but they will just join one of the many other groups that are springing up virtually everyday.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeKGS
Super** Member
Super** Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MikeKGS » 1 year ago

I've posted on other boards where their is either a board, or thread for welcomes, and the user needs to post before being able to post on the rest of the site. Whilst this might not work, or even have a detrimental effect for some people centralising where the welcome posts go might be a good idea as 'real' topics are pushed down the boards and out of site because of all the welcome threads.

Another barrier to posting might be knowing WHERE to post. There are a lot of boards and while I think they are all relevant, I wonder if some nubies are worried they'll they told off for posting the wrong thing in the wrong section.

Anyway... these are just my thoughts and I'm not sure they're right!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I recently tried a "Hello" section for new members but they still didn't post but the biggest disappointment was that our existing members didn't "say hello" either because it wasn't clear which park they were on. By posting my welcome post in the appropriate park section some existing members will greet new members on their park.
Keith

If you find this Forum useful - pass the word to other owners. If you don't - tell me how it can be improved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeKGS
Super** Member
Super** Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MikeKGS » 1 year ago

perhaps we could try a sticky 'Welcome' thread on each of the park boards?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Keith
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I'll give it some thought :big_grin:
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
springhay
Power Member
Power Member

It is simplicity that people enjoy about Facebook. I think there are too many categories, then too many sections within the categories. The posts are so few and far between it wouldn't really matter where they went!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who Visited This Topic

Keith , Celtygirl , bradders , Steve Morgan , Lesley & Alan , Baidu [Spider] , Google Adsense [Bot] , Google [Bot] , Majestic-12 [Bot] , Yahoo [Bot] , cliff , johnturley , springhay , yorkshirebelle , Bing [Bot] , Keith 2 , djpaulbritton , sovereign , chrisandwendy , Chamonix400 , mevennais , lhiggonyoung , MikeKGS , mummybear , TforTerry , Koala Services , Tj123 , HappyValley , DJ59 , Brian Scotney , MKE , Happyholidays , Donna_and_Neil , sharonperky ,

Return to “Open Forum”